Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas is Comming...

Our tradition is to pull out all the Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving...that is after all the Black Friday shopping is done! Growing up my Dad had a "rule" about no Christmas decorations until December 1st...so we get razzed by my dad for having our house all decked out in November...but I love Christmas too much to wait a few extra days to start making everything look festive! This year quite a few of our decorations had to stay in the boxes due to a certain little one year old boy with very busy fingers...but our house still looks festive inside and out. Jon stung Christmas lights up around the house and in the birch tree in the front yard. We have greenery and a wreath on the front door and greenery and bows in the window box outside...and inside we have 1 large tree and 6 small ones...all with plenty of lights! Oh, and a cinnamon scented candle lit almost all the time...very festive, I tell ya! Not to mention the festive jingle bell earrings Elsie and I have been wearing all week! We are crazy with Christmas spirit around here...
On the kitchen counter we have a fireman nutcracker to guard the fruit bowl...
 The kitchen tree...we hang little nutcrackers on this tree...
 I love wreaths in the windows with bright red bows...we have one in the both the dining room and kitchen windows. James enjoys trying to pull the cinnamon sticks off the wreath, thus the mis-shaped wreath!
 A simple sprig of mistletoe on the kitchen sign...We also have mistletoe balls hanging in several places...you can't go into the kitchen, dining room or living room without walking under mistletoe!
 At Christmas time we take the lid off the kitchen canister and stuff it full of holly...so festive!
 James has his own little Christmas tree...with bullet shell lights! He loves his tree...
 The Hutch is where we keep our Count Down to Christmas Advent stuff...
 In the red bowl we have a little piece of the nativity scene to open each night of December...all the pieces are labeled with the day to open it. The kids both look forward to opening the little package and seeing what is next for the nativity...
 This nativity is something new this year...after much searching for just the right Advent thing to do, I found this simple magnetic Advent nativity set on Amazon. Perfect for kids...
 We have glittery golden snowflakes hanging from the light in the dining room...
 We seem to have lost the legs for the dining room Christmas tree...so for now it is just leaning in the black chair. It is on my list to either find some new legs or a new tree next time I go shopping. We normally hang vintage spoons and tiny golden bulbs on the dining room tree.
 The stockings are all hung up and ready for Santa...
 We have our little St. Lucia statue out and waiting for St. Lucia Day next week...
 We keep our Advent wreath on the dresser in the dining room...we move it to the table every night for dinner and eat by candle light. Our Advent wreath is just 4 brass candlesticks with the Christ candle in the middle and a wreath around them all...very simple.
 We keep a little Santa man on the kitchen cabinet doorknobs...we also have red jingle bell wreaths on the some of the doors...
 We have a little silver tinsel tree in the living room on the end table...this is my favorite tree! Finding the perfect topper for this tree is on my list!
 We have a child -friendly Nativity set on the play table in the living room. Elsie explained to me today that the blue one is not Mary, but a sister for baby Jesus...because if he didn't have a brother or sister he would be very lonely! Love my girl's way of thinking!
  Last year we broke down and bought a fake tree...I didn't want a fake one and was very picky...I even made Jon bring back the first one he bought...then I went with to pick it out...4 stores later I found the perfect one...double the price of the one he first brought home. But, it is a lovely tree...and hopefully this one will last until we are old and grey! {Plus it is pre-lit...bonus!}
 I still have some more decorating ideas twirling around in my head...I am never "done decorating"...for me decorating is constantly evolving...I like change too much to be done! I would say, though that our house is full of Holiday Spirit...trees are all lit, Christmas music is on, Christmas candles are burning...we just need to finish that shopping and start on some baking...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...