Thursday, March 31, 2011

Maple Syrup at Merrywood Farm....

My Dad, Brother and a couple of my sisters have a new hobby this Spring...Tapping Trees! They have tapped over 100 trees...with any luck we will have lots of fresh Maple Syrup to enjoy! These pictures were from a couple weeks ago...and they are now getting ready to start boiling the sap in the sugar shack. I can't wait to see the whole process...and of course taste a little... Jon, the kids and I did have tag along to take pictures as they tapped the 2 big Maple Trees at my Grandparent's house...I am so thankful that my children get to be apart of so many fun hobby's that my parents have...they will learn so many lost arts!
Tapping the trees looked so simple...it is literally tapping the trees! they simply made a hole in the tree with a drill...
Pushed the spicket and hose into the hole...
Put the hose into the bucket...and waited! Yesterday afternoon the girls and Colter went out to the woods and collected some of the syrup...half a 55 gallon drum of syrup!
It sounds to lovely to be tapping the trees for Maple Syrup...it reminds me of one of my favorite books my Mom read out loud to us..."Miracles on Maple Hill". Hopefully there will be pictures of the rest of the process to follow soon...

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I miss fresh maple syrup. John's dad used to do it ever year and then just stopped. I suppose we could try it.....along with all the other project we have in the works. ;-)

Such fun!

shasta said...

I am happy to just watch the whole process being done and not have to help! looks like a lot of work!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...