Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Canning Pears...

With being on bedrest for the first half of summer and having a newborn for the other half we did not get much food stored up for the winter...we did about 12 jars of apple sauce using the apples from our tree. And a few weeks ago I got really ambitious and canned a lug of pears by myself while watching the kids! I think we got over 20 jars of pears...now James will have some tasty and healthy baby food when he starts solid foods this winter...
Elsie was my good helpin' girl...she tried her best to peal and slice the pears with her little knife...don't worry it was just a little plastic knife...but still made her feel important! After she got tired of trying to cut she was happy to pick up the slices I cut and drop them into the lemon water...
This photo is more of a before picture...the kitchen looks so cleaned up...by the time I finished we had pear juice dripping off the edge of the counter...2 cups of sugar water spilled all over the stove top and the floor...In the end I was thinking to myself " maybe gerber baby food isn't so bad..."
After awhile Elsie got tired of helping me all together...and she sat on the floor eating pears and looking through old picture books...
After James woke up it was Elsie's job to give James a bottle while I finished before the pears got brown...thankfully my dad showed up and was willing to feed James while I finished slicing...and my sister Lisa was willing to come over and entertain the kiddos while I packed the jars...then it was over to my parents house to boil the jars. We have a smooth top electric stove and cannot can on it...but my mom is a bit like a perfectionist and usually takes over the boiling part for me...and I am not about to complain! (thanks mom...and dad and Lisa!) It feels good to know that I have at least a little bit of fresh food stored up for winter...



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...