Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Apples...Apples...Apples...

The apple tree in our backyard produced a fair amount of apples this year...I don't know what kind of apple tree it is but for some reason last year and this year the apples were ready to pick quite early in the season!
Last Sunday Jon and Elsie went out to pick all the apples off the tree before they started getting over ripe...
Jon would shake the branches to make the apples fall than he and Elsie would scurry around picking them all up...
We got three bags full of apples...I think last year there were more apples...but this still kept us busy all afternoon!
Jon and I got the job of peeling , slicing and coring the apples...and Elsie was busy playing with grandma B. who came over for a visit...
We put all the apples in the big stock pot with some cinnamon, sugar and water...we had to let the apples simmer on low for over an hour until they were soft enough to mash up for apple sauce...
In the end all we got was 7 jars of apples sauce for the pantry...but at least it is a start! Jon and I also canned 24 jars of peaches and froze 5 bags a few weeks ago...I took pictures but never got around to posting them! Our winter pantry is filling up! This is the first year that Jon and I have canned together...and I am surprised to see how much Jon enjoys it! I have never had to ask him one time to help me...he just comes and expects to help! Who would have known Jon could be such a home-maker...now if only he would discover a love for house cleaning!


2 comments:

carla said...

is that a victoria's secret bag all those apples are in?!!! (haha - i just had to say something!!)

carla said...

the knife jon is using looks weird - like its facing the wrong way...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...