Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cure of the Cough...

For the last several days I have been feeling rather icky...I had the flu that turned into a terrible cough...I was awake coughing most of last night! Not wanted a repeat of last night I asked my mom what I should do about trying to not cough!? She told me to try an Onion Pack/poultice! So I got out the onions...
My Mom came over to help me apply the poultice...she warmed the onions in olive oil on the stove until they were nice and warm...
She then wrapped the hot onions in an old towel and layed it on my chest...It felt so good! It instantly started to break up phlem...
When the onions cooled I layed the onions directly on my chest...Elsie had a few issues with this...she kept wanting to take them off me!
The poultice should help to stop the cough so I can sleep better tonight...so far so good...I have coughed some but not "big, bad coughs" like before! I also took a nice warm bath tonight with fresh, frozen ginger floating in the tub...I was told that was supposed to bring my fever down...(not sure I really had one but I wanted to try anyhow!) Fresh ginger tea is also known to help ease coughing...So I will be putting a cup beside the bed tonight just in case! Now...I have every intention of waking up in the morning feeling tip-top so I can go buy some flowers for the window box!
Thanks,mom for coming over to help me...and the girls for watching Elsie so I could relax in the tub...I think my parents and sisters have taken care of Elsie for me all week! What would Jon and I do without any of you?



1 comment:

carla said...

hopefully this helps control the coughing a bit. when i had pneumonia my coughing at night was *the worst* - i couldn't sleep at all (and we forgot all about the onion poultice trick...silly us!) --- so i know how exhausted you must feel from not getting a decent night's sleep. i certainly hope your upper respiratory stuff deosn't get any worse. cough syrup is a joke, stay away from it!!...this stuff and/or a few shots of whiskey work the best, in my opinion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...